Monday, November 30, 2009

Sleeves

One of my many useless post.

Well now that I have gotten some new Player's Choice Sleeves (which are heaven), I have been thinking a lot about sleeves. I think of everything, from double sleeving to how tightly the sleeves fit the cards.

In my experience, the sleeves the most tightly fit the cards are Player's Choice. I have seen KMC, Ultra Pro and sadly those bad Max Protection sleeves. Player's Choice and KMC are almost identical and you can only notice the differences by looking up close. Ultra Pro is only slightly wider; allowing you to easily sleeve and unsleeve your cards. Though when I was goofing around, I found out that I can double sleeve my Player's Choice sleeves with my YGO size Ultra Pro sleeves. Max Protection sleeves are the widest of the pack. They almost look like magic sleeves.

Now durability, I have heard many great things about KMC and Player's Choice, but it hasn't been long enough to truly identify if they can handle the stress of shuffling. Ultra Pro has the longest durability that I have seen. These things are tanks. On the other hand, Max Protection sleeves start pealing with only a couple of riffle shuffles.

"Slickness" of each of these sleeves are usually a preference. Ultra Pro has textured imprints on the back for easy handling. KMC and
Player's Choice are very very slick. They are both fun to handle; what I mean is that I love to use these babies to fan out my cards. Than comes Max Protection sleeves. When they come out of the package, they are between Ultra Pro and Player's Choice in slickness. But after some aggressive usage, the sleeves turn to ass. When they start peeling, they tend to feel very awkward in hand. And in just gets worse.

Color selection. All the sleeves have a wide variety of colors; from purple to gold. The Ultra Pros are usually made of the matte color spectrum. While KMC and Ultra Pro are the more vibrant and neonish kind of colors. Max Protection has very few solid color sleeves, but they have the greatest variety of sleeves that contain artwork. Some artwork are solid and are very appealing to the eye. While others give you the sense of "WTF?"

Double sleeving is a very good way of keeping your sleeves and cards safe. Do you have a nice Max Protection artwork that you want to display? Double sleeve it with some clear Ultra Pro sleeves. So now your Max Protection won't start peeling, you can display the fine artwork and your cards are safe. There are people who triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple and even nontuple sleeve their decks. As you can imagine, this makes your cards huge and often the person has to add in another card to support the sleeves. People can go great distances to protect their cards. Laminating is the way of the future xD. Also I wonder how hard it is to shuffle one of those nontuple sleeved decks.


No comments:

Post a Comment